[Foss-cafe] mail filtering setup protocol

Patrick Shanahan paka at wahoo.no-ip.org
Wed May 19 18:34:33 CDT 2004

* Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> [05-19-04 18:15]:

> On Wednesday May 19 2004 19:31, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> [05-19-04 15:34]:
> > > web-mail.
> > >
> > > With pop3, a serialized mail downloading protocol, it made sense to
> > > filter mails as I download them, but with imap, it doesn't make sense
> > > (they wouldn't end up being filtered in the web-mail). So, another
> > > solution is needed... I was told to use maildrop (or procmail). Ok, it
> > > can do the task, but it is about 1000 times harder than the user
> > > friendly KMail filter setup, with some effort I can do it, I know a lot
> > > of people that wouldn't be able to do it.  For those of use, imap ends
> > > up being useless.
> >
> > If your only requirement is to sort to mail folders, spend five minutes
> > learning and looking at the procmail examples and you can do it.  It is
> > *not* harder than doing them in kmail, just different.  An excellent
> > starter tutorial maintained by Nancy McGough exists at:
> >   http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
> I didn't read any tutorial to use KMail's filtering system, my girlfriend
> could use it without reading any tutorial. And if I'm not mistaken that
> requires writting a text file, which would require sshing to the server, that
> is not simple! that's the task of an administrator, not a user.
> I'm using maildrop with a web configuration tool provided by sqwebmail.
>
> > > So I was thinking that imap should provide some kind of mail filtering
> > > setup.  That is a way that a client (like kmail, with a nice ui, or a
> > > web-mail) may instruct the server about what filters to apply to the
> > > incoming mail. What do you think ? I was told 'hell no', imap is not
> > > for filtering, ok... then another protocol, a separate protocol,
> > > another port, another server ? don't you think it'll be usefull ? Is
> > > there something like that implemented ?  another solution ? Thanks.
> >
> > You don't say what kind of connection you have, but if it is full-time
> > you might consider running your own mail-server and then you would be
> > able to access from *anywhere* and you could use pop3 or imap, as you
> > desire.
> Running a mail server is the task of an administrator, not a user. I already
> have my own mailserver, but not a home, that would be crazy, I have it in a
> secure colocation with a real internet connection and a good electric
> service!
>
> > You must remember that linux, for the most part, consists of many small
> > programs each doing one thing excellently rather than one program doing
> > many things with many trade-offs (the windoz way).
> Yes, I know, I'm not new to linux (unless you consider 7 years too little).
>
> And on top of everythin, I'm not saying that mail filtering can't be done, I'm
> not saying that I can't do mail filtering. What I am saying is that it is
> wrong! that something is needed, a protocol, a protocol extension, a set of
> applications and servers, etc, something is needed. If we did innovation
> [...]

I'm sorry that I cannot help you.  Please excuse me, I am bitting my
tongue and it hurts.  Times *are* changing.  Once, everyone who ran linux
*was* an administrator of some degree.  I'm not sure that it should not
be a requirement.  It's no different than understanding the necessity for
changing the oil, rotating tires and filling the gas tank on a
automobile.   You appear to want to use a dumb terminal and have someone
maintain the system *for* you.

<donning flame-retardent underware>  please have a good day,
HOG # US1244711