[Foss-cafe] job sites don't work anymore ?

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Mon Apr 5 10:31:58 CDT 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 08:43, Tink wrote:
> At 08:18 -0300 4/4/04, Pupeno wrote about [Foss-cafe] job sites don't
>
> work anymore ?:
> |What really amuses me is that I have so much success in an indepent job
> |application and so little success in job-site job applications. So, are
> |job-site's job postings real ? or bogus information to fill them with
> |something ? What do you think about it ?
>
> Welcome to the world of job hunters. Of course the job-site
I've been there for two years... or in other words, for almost my whole
workable life.

> applications are for real. There is a LOT of unemployment in the
> world. I say world because a lot of techies submit applications
> internationally. The figures you mention are very common. 4000 - 5000
> applicants for a positions is average.

One of my key principles of life is not ling, that's why I don't lie in my
resume and I don't lie in my cover letters. Having a company do that for me
would be like ling and I don't want that. And I belive those companies have a
lot of responsability for the current problems in job seeking.

> |Back to my posible job, the laws are stupid, I'm an Argentinian citizen,
> | this job is in Spain, they (the spanish consul) will take two months to
> | give me the job visa after they aproved... they may take any time they
> | want to aprove it... let's be nice and add two weeks, I have to gather a
> | lot of papers to present a job visa request, including my criminal
> | records of all the places where I lived for the past 5 years... I think
> | they take a month to give it to you (I once got it have my ham liscence),
> | they also ask for a medical evaluation, let's be nice and supouse we can
> | do it in that month wasted waiting for the criminal records.
>
> Sorry but I disagree with you, the laws are not stupid they're there
> to protect the citizens of that country. You could easily be a
> terrorist or drugs smuggler who is trying to enter the country on a
> bogus job application visa.
Ok, they laws are not stupid, what is stupid is the concept of country, I
totally disagree with it, I consider it a very stupid concept that can only
live in the minds of very imaginative beings (you have to be very imaginative
to think and believe such a stupid concepts).

> 2 months for processing an application? Really? I think it's totally
> unrealistic figure but if it's true, you're lucky. Applications for
> work visa's to the US take up 6 to 10 months to process. So stop
> complaining.
I won't stop complaining against the stupid situation of the world.

> No matter which country you want to work in you will come across this type
of bureaucracy.
I know, that shows how fscked up the world is.

> As for the medical exam, most countries want to know if you're an HIV
> patient or not and a lot of immigration countries do not give you
> permission for a residency if you are.
That's discrimination... I thought we agreed that discrimination was wrong,
but I was wrong in believing that.

> |They need to fill the job ASAP,
> |there's no way they are going to wait for me four monthes, so, I lost the
> | job because of burocracy and not because of my qualifications.
>
> Though, but they didn't ask for a employee from Argentina. if they
They didn't ask for an employee not in Argentina, they even't asked for an
employee in Spain. And I consider very shortsighet all those people that
believe that having the employees closer will give them some kind of
security.

> makes sense of course. A lot of EU countries have a law of own
> workers first. If the position can't be filled by a local than they
> are allowed to hire a foreigner. US has the same law.
Yes, I know, I tried to work in USA as well, there are lot of companies
dedicated to find the way to get your permit, the specialize in putting job
posts that nobody can post to except you, in ignoring local postings, and so
on... so much resources that can be put in making a better world are put in
circunventing laws that where created with so much resources that could be
put in making a better world. Am I the only one seeing it ?

> I think a country has the right to protect the jobs for their
> citizens.
Here again, I disagree with the concept of country.

> How would you feel if all the jobs in your country would be
> filled with cheap labor employees? People who would work for low
> salaries because they send all their money to their home country
> where life is so much cheaper? That's what happened in the Silicon
> Valley for a while with all the Indian techies working there on a
> lower salary. Even though California has minimum wage laws. They
> would just accept a lower job title which didn't require a higher
> salary while the US worker invested in study and was waiting to land
> that job. So they are unemployed, needing Social benefits and are a
> strain on the US budget. While the money these low paid tech workers
> make is not spend in the US but send home to India/Pakistan .... fill
> in the blanks  Unfair isn't it?
Don't talk to me about unfair things... what about this... every night my
country gets filled of people collecting trash from the streets to sell it
for some coins to get something to it. Do you think that is because we live
in a monarchy and the king get's all the money ? or because of the external
opresive pressure of countries like USA ? the IMF and those banks. They do
something inside to prevent economy problems and they tell use to do exactly
the reverse to prevent the economy problems. That's because they want us to
sink and step on us to breath. I don't care if some USA citizens gets
unemployed because an Indian citizen gets employed, considering the
conditions of life, I would consider it extremely fair. As I consider it fair
that people from Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, etc come to this country to work
because with what they earn here, they send it to their homes to feed their
whole family and I consider the the goverment of this country is really bad
in how they treat all those people, making the work permits hard to get and
so on. After all, they are just trying to find a better future like I am. I'm
not blind enough to not see that.

> A lot of countries are protecting these jobs by having a law that a
> company must give proof that they tried to hire local people but
> didn't succeed.
I know, as I said earlier, there are companies with the only porpouse to
generate thos proofs, kewl, isn't it ?

> They moved their companies to India, out-sourcing their labor.
Maybe it was time to do some investment in poor countries, or at least,
countries with poor people (India's goverment is far from good) that with
high quality knowledge used to starve to death.

I think the problem here is that people don't see the world as a one
interconnected whole thing... the whole world with all it's population is
like a whole body... would you cut out your leg to it because you are
hungry ? Well, that's what most powerfull countries have been doing for a
long time... and now, they run out of legs, arms and so on and they are
starting to starve.
Maybe the world as a whole will have an oscilation of power... once it was the
Roman empire, it falled, once was the Turkish empire, it falled and so on...
till the moment we realize we are a whole body.
- --
Pupeno: pupeno at pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com