[Foss-cafe] job sites don't work anymore ?

Tink tink at svn.net
Mon Apr 5 06:43:47 CDT 2004

At 08:18 -0300 4/4/04, Pupeno wrote about [Foss-cafe] job sites don't
work anymore ?:

|What really amuses me is that I have so much success in an indepent job
|application and so little success in job-site job applications. So, are
|job-site's job postings real ? or bogus information to fill them with
|something ? What do you think about it ?

Welcome to the world of job hunters. Of course the job-site
applications are for real. There is a LOT of unemployment in the
world. I say world because a lot of techies submit applications
internationally. The figures you mention are very common. 4000 - 5000
applicants for a positions is average.

You can read all kinds of different articles on the net explaining
how and what you should to to get on top of all those applications.
Personally I use a company to write the cover letters and resume or
cv. it takes away the stress and you're sure you're sending that
cover letter aimed towards that position.

|Back to my posible job, the laws are stupid, I'm an Argentinian citizen, this
|job is in Spain, they (the spanish consul) will take two months to give me
|the job visa after they aproved... they may take any time they want to aprove
|it... let's be nice and add two weeks, I have to gather a lot of papers to
|present a job visa request, including my criminal records of all the places
|where I lived for the past 5 years... I think they take a month to give it to
|you (I once got it have my ham liscence), they also ask for a medical
|evaluation, let's be nice and supouse we can do it in that month wasted
|waiting for the criminal records.

Sorry but I disagree with you, the laws are not stupid they're there
to protect the citizens of that country. You could easily be a
terrorist or drugs smuggler who is trying to enter the country on a
bogus job application visa.
2 months for processing an application? Really? I think it's totally
unrealistic figure but if it's true, you're lucky. Applications for
work visa's to the US take up 6 to 10 months to process. So stop
complaining. No matter which country you want to work in you will
come across this type of bureaucracy. Even we in Europe who want to
work in Spain will have to go through the job permit application,
although we can skip the residence permit.
As for the medical exam, most countries want to know if you're an HIV
patient or not and a lot of immigration countries do not give you
permission for a residency if you are. They will also check for other
infectious diseases such as Tuberculoses.

|They need to fill the job ASAP,
|there's no way they are going to wait for me four monthes, so, I lost the job
|because of burocracy and not because of my qualifications.

Though, but they didn't ask for a employee from Argentina. if they
would they will be prepared to wait till you have received your
permit. They will even try to help you speed things up. But if they
can get a Spanish evenly qualified worker they will go for him, which
makes sense of course. A lot of EU countries have a law of own
workers first. If the position can't be filled by a local than they
are allowed to hire a foreigner. US has the same law.

| I really think the world is
|kinda upside down in some aspects, so much resources wasted. So much
|suffering generated, so much frontiers and limits invented. What do you
|think ?

I think a country has the right to protect the jobs for their
citizens. How would you feel if all the jobs in your country would be
filled with cheap labor employees? People who would work for low
salaries because they send all their money to their home country
where life is so much cheaper? That's what happened in the Silicon
Valley for a while with all the Indian techies working there on a
lower salary. Even though California has minimum wage laws. They
would just accept a lower job title which didn't require a higher
salary while the US worker invested in study and was waiting to land
that job. So they are unemployed, needing Social benefits and are a
strain on the US budget. While the money these low paid tech workers
make is not spend in the US but send home to India/Pakistan .... fill
in the blanks  Unfair isn't it?

A lot of countries are protecting these jobs by having a law that a
company must give proof that they tried to hire local people but
didn't succeed.

For years the tech workers in the US have asked to get the law
changed and urge the president to lower the H1b visa's to the US so
the tech workers could have more chance on a job. And so he did. But
what happened was that all these corporation saw their cheap workers
disappear and so they did something the tech workers not expected.
They moved their companies to India, out-sourcing their labor.
Out-sourcing is the keyword at the moment. So if you want to land a
good tech job, check with the headhunters/recruiters in India, they
have plenty to offer. Word is that big corporations are planning to
move more labor abroad, this time to China where labor is even
cheaper.

Also read:
Jobs abound in India's booming tech sector
http://www.forbes.com/work/newswire/2003/10/01/rtr1097228.html

US techies on India job hunt
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/569179.cms

For Indian jobs, try: