[Foss-cafe] job sites don't work anymore ?

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Sun Apr 4 06:18:22 CDT 2004

Hello people...
Except for some months (4 or 5) of which I had a job, I've been looking for
employment for more than two years. I used several methods but mainly, I was
basing my search in sites like monster.com and infojobs.net... At first I was
very selective in the jobs I applied for, nobody replied, I started to be a
bit less selective, nobody replied... I know, it's not a good policy because
it leeds to bigger entropy but I was desperate, very desperate at some times,
so for some times, I just serched and submit, submit, submit... if the title
of the job had something to do with me, even remotly, I submited for it.
Nobody replied... I estimate that I submited for 4000 or 5000 jobs, yes, that
numbers are right, four thousands or five thousands (4x10³ or 5x10³). And
I've got about 3 or 4 replies of the whole that ended up to be totally
irrelevant.
Recently someone recomend me a job, I applied... of the 65 people that
applied, I ended up as semi-finalist with 14 people, of those, I reached the
finalist level with 3 and I'm waiting my beredict now.
What really amuses me is that I have so much success in an indepent job
application and so little success in job-site job applications. So, are
job-site's job postings real ? or bogus information to fill them with
something ? What do you think about it ?
Back to my posible job, the laws are stupid, I'm an Argentinian citizen, this
job is in Spain, they (the spanish consul) will take two months to give me
the job visa after they aproved... they may take any time they want to aprove
it... let's be nice and add two weeks, I have to gather a lot of papers to
present a job visa request, including my criminal records of all the places
where I lived for the past 5 years... I think they take a month to give it to
you (I once got it have my ham liscence), they also ask for a medical
evaluation, let's be nice and supouse we can do it in that month wasted
waiting for the criminal records. That leads to at least, at best, three
monthes and a half till you have the visa, then you have to fly and go, a
couple of weeks ? four monthes in total ? They need to fill the job ASAP,
there's no way they are going to wait for me four monthes, so, I lost the job
because of burocracy and not because of my qualifications. The constitution
here in Argentina claims that one should be accepted in a job without more
requirement than the qualifications to do the job (that is, you can't be
discriminated for other reasons like skin color, sex, religion or political
ideas). I whish we hade the same laws world wide but they are not even
respected here in my country in very simple matters... how can I expect the
whole world to understand it and respect it ? I really think the world is
kinda upside down in some aspects, so much resources wasted. So much
suffering generated, so much frontiers and limits invented. What do you
think ?
In the meantime, I have to eat... so I decided to look for a job outside job
sites, so, I'm using google to find those pages that say join us, you know,
companies that have join us sections with job postings... but I still can't
find a google query that would return me something satisfactory, I'll keep
searching, if you have any recomendation, please, tell me.

Thank you for your time!
- --
Pupeno: pupeno at pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com