[CS-FSLUG] Mastodon?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Feb 3 22:25:15 CST 2023

> I’m not on it yet but it seems to be what needs to happen. Facebook and Twitter are just plain terrible.
> Trying to figure out my own Mastodon strategy — do I want to run my own server (can it run on a $5 DigitalOcean droplet?) or try to piggyback on another?

I think it could run on a $5 droplet, although one of the specs seemed kinda tiny for me (can’t remember which off hand). CS-FSLUG runs on our own bare metal, so I thought about putting an instance on there, but was concerned it might open up some vulnerability to the existing infrastructure, so I ended up settling on Ionos’s equivalent to a Digital Ocean droplet, which seemed to offer good scalability and a bit more power per dollar. So far, I opted for S3 for media storage. It’s working well for faithtree.social so far, with just a handful of users (and only me until today). I’ll have more to share on scalability as it runs for a bit, I think, although the main thing I wanted was a place for my church to have a presence that wasn’t going to get weird with all the extreme stuff Eduardo mentioned.

Right now load on the single core instance is 0.18, 0.14, 0.14. I’m kinda expecting it’ll need to move up to dual core eventually here...

Blessings,
Tim

Pastor Timothy Butler
Little Hills Church