[CS-FSLUG] Mastodon?

Micah Yoder micah at yoderdev.com
Fri Feb 3 20:38:39 CST 2023

I’m not on it yet but it seems to be what needs to happen. Facebook and Twitter are just plain terrible.
Trying to figure out my own Mastodon strategy — do I want to run my own server (can it run on a $5 DigitalOcean droplet?) or try to piggyback on another?

I’m also planning to start a project on faith and politics that I’d like to build a community around, and I’m trying to figure out what to do with that. Maybe run a Mastodon server for it. But there’s a lot more good stuff in the ActivityPub ecosystem.  LWN did a couple great articles going over what’s out there:

https://lwn.net/Articles/916154/

https://lwn.net/Articles/918224/