[CS-FSLUG] Mechanical Keyboard

Ron Thompson rt at radionwt.ca
Fri Oct 17 22:38:39 CDT 2014

Just a note I thought I should add about how I destroyed the Osmium
keyboard.

The air inside the house in winter is very dry.  One evening
I came home, slipped off my winter coat, walked into the room with the
computer and grabbed the wireless mouse.  When I moved the mouse (I'm
right handed) my thumb came close enough to the audio ports on the side
of the keyboard for an arc to jump from me to the keyboard.  That was
the end of the keyboard.

This has happened before, actually it hasn't been that uncommon, and
prior to this the worst that has happened was the computer re-booting
without any apparent damage.  This time the computer didn't react to
the spark at all, only the keyboard failed.

Setting the mouse and keyboard on an anti-static mat now seems like
cheap insurance that it won't happen again.

   Ron (Nathan's Dad)

--
Ron Thompson
Amateur Radio Station VE8RT