[CS-FSLUG] Mechanical Keyboard

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Oct 18 12:09:31 CDT 2014

Thanks, everyone! To answer Nathan's question:

> On Oct 17, 2014, at 8:31 PM, Nathan Thompson <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To recommend a mechanical keyboard it's important to know what your expectations are first. What in particular do you want from the keyboard?

I'd like a keyboard that eases typing strain and provides more satisfying feedback than the standard membrane ones (I  rather liked my Apple bluetooth keyboard until my rechargeable batteries I had purchased leaked inside and sealed the battery chamber shut...). I've briefly used a Model M and liked it, but never owned one.

I'd prefer a keyboard that is long lasting (maybe an advantage for a Unicomp or finding an old Model M, I'd think). I have a private office, but keep the door open normally, so I don't want anything so obnoxious that those in my neighboring offices (say, 10-15 feet away, also usually with their doors open) would be greatly annoyed. But, it isn't a quiet office environment, typically -- we have plenty of people come in, there is a large printer/copier between the offices, etc. That is, I can turn the baseball game on on the radio softly and my coworkers probably aren't bothered by it.

I'd like something that isn't huge, so I can shove it off under my screen when grading papers; also, wireless wouldn't be bad, but I'm willing to skip these niceties for a better keyboard. Maybe a removable cable so I could just unplug the keyboard when I needed all of my desk space would be nice, but, again, not necessary. I'd prefer an Apple keyboard layout, because I'm thinking of  taking my MacBook Pro into work more, but I do use a Windows (ack!) PC there right now and can live with a superior keyboard that has a Windows keyboard layout.

I don't want a keyboard that looks like a gamer keyboard with odd fonts or the like. I'd prefer something office-y looking like the Model M or stylish like the Das Keyboard (or Apple Keyboard -- which is really a beautiful minimalist design, I think).

So, there's where I'm at. Thanks for your suggestions!

Tim