[CS-FSLUG] Upgrade to FireFox 10 - V96, 5

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Feb 9 10:14:07 CST 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Don Parris wrote:

> Web browsing with Lynx or Links or whatever is pretty fun for the
> experience of it, but really, can you watch Youtube in Lynx?  That
> said, I do see great advantages on the command line for many other
> tasks.  I tried the mutt thing once.  That did not last very long.
> Not that I shouldn't give it another whirl, but not likely to happen
> real soon.  :-)

I'm one of those who watches videos only grudgingly. I tend to doubt the
usefulness of communication of that sort, for reasons both philosophical
and scientific, but I don't want to publish a dissertation to the list.
Let's just say I consider videos more lie than truth.

I also tend to doubt anything worth considering can be communicated
solely by video. Lots of visuals can accomplish a huge amount of
manipulation, but that's not so easy with simple text. There's a part of
me which is highly cynical about people who insist on communicating
through video. If you can't write well, find someone who will write it
for you. I volunteer to ghost write for that very reason. A few Open
Source sites sport my grouchy grammar corrections. But if someone
can't communicate with me via written words, I suspect whatever they
have to say is not worth the time God gives me on this earth.

Video is fine for simple entertainment, but I don't often want to give
much time for that. On one machine I had in the past, I ran Debian
without X. I used the available tools to download and view any Flash
stuff that seemed really worth the time (Mplayer without X works fine).
The only real drawback was the huge number of sites in which the whole
content was controlled by JScript. Blogging in particular was awfully
hard, but manageable.

But I still use Lynx on this CentOS 6 machine of mine any time it will
work for a given site. I try it first, then resort to Opera, and if it's
really picky, Chrome. Sites which make it too difficult simply don't get
much of my traffic. I do send off the occasional email to webmasters,
and few even bother to respond. Most who do tell me to get lost, in so
many words.

We all have to find our own way. Long live the framebuffer!

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/