[CS-FSLUG] Upgrade to FireFox 10 - V96, 5

David and Ella McMullen DavidM at HisFeet.net
Thu Feb 9 23:38:46 CST 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:14:07 -0600 (CST)
Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Don Parris wrote:
>
> > Web browsing with Lynx or Links or whatever is pretty fun for the
> > experience of it, but really, can you watch Youtube in Lynx?  That
> > said, I do see great advantages on the command line for many other
> > tasks.  I tried the mutt thing once.  That did not last very long.
> > Not that I shouldn't give it another whirl, but not likely to happen
> > real soon.  :-)
>
> I'm one of those who watches videos only grudgingly. I tend to doubt the
> usefulness of communication of that sort, for reasons both philosophical
> and scientific, but I don't want to publish a dissertation to the list.
> Let's just say I consider videos more lie than truth.

I tend  to agree with you Ed about Videos, but....
When I first started to try to convey the gospel to the Indigenous people of Mexico, I was using only two channels: Recorded audio messages in their languages, (worthy instruments from Gospel Recordings http://globalrecordings.net), and my own poor Spanish, trying to comunicate with people who usually didn't understand me at all. Someone lent me a copy of "the Jesus Movie" from Campus Crusade, and someone else gave me a 16MM projector. Now, I'm the guy that doesn't want any 'pictures of Jesus' in my house, or otherwise in my line of vision. It's not a religious thing, it's just that they are notoriously inaccurate, and can never be anything but. In addition, I view them as a stumbingblock (especialy to people who have been taught to pray to them). So I was quite unwilling to use that movie. But then I noticed that God often uses inaccurate things, (even some of the things that I say):), and 'stumbling blocks' can become 'stepping stones'. And I realised that I really had no way to effectively get and hold their attention on the Christ long enough to convey much truth at all. So I laid aside my worries about the accuracy of the truth conveyed, and with a lot of prayer began to use the 'Jesus movie' - at first in Spanish (much better than mine). Also, a 'movie' has the advantage of getting in by the 'eyegate' and the 'eargate'. (Double jeapardy from my feeble viewpoint). But from their viewpoint, if hearing the Spanish didn't get the thought across, then they could see the meaning by the action on the screen.

Are there errors? Yes, glaring ones. But compared to not being able to comunicate the message, And knowing that God had said (full well knowing that we wouldn't get it right) to preach the gospel, and watching Him use unworthy instruments as myself to comunicate, I knew that He could also use that film.  And He has!  Nowdays it is available in about 1000 langauges (worldwide) And we use it and distribute it in sellover a hunjdred different Indigenous langauges of Mexico. So far as I can see it hasn't promoted idol worship, oor any other major error of doctrine, but has been used of God to win many people (with little understanding of Spanish, and none of English) to Christ. There are a few other videos that we use from time to time, and nearly all of them have some flaws, but we choose them based on the worthwhile content.

So I do think that videos have a very useful role to play in comunicating the gospel, But a large part of me yearns for the day when they won't be needed.

Dave

--
David and Ella McMullen <DavidM at HisFeet.net>