[CS-FSLUG] OT: Wycliffe Bible Translators Producing Muslim Friendly Bible

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Feb 3 10:38:27 CST 2012

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:11:17 -0600
Tim Young <Tim.Young at LightSys.org> wrote:

> It does appear that there is a translation that Wycliffe and New
> Tribes are helping out, which is geared towards Muslims. The various
> missions that at least have a role in this translation up are very
> good organizations, using a lot of care as they translate. I have a
> lot of respect for them, and know that even as they translate a
> passage to something like, "I am the tortilla of life", that they do
> so for a reason. A culture that does not have bread, does not
> understand the phrase, "I am the bread of life." The translators
> realized that Jesus was speaking about the primary dietary item that
> was eaten with nearly every meal, flushing that meal out. The
> passages where Jesus is the "good shepherd" has also been translated
> to being herders of other animals which are native to their areas
> (llamas anyone?). The point is not that Jesus chased fluffy white
> animals around the place, but rather that He cares and is willing to
> give His life for them... Using animals that are local to them help
> considerably.

In some respects, I can understand why this might be a 'good thing', to aid
in understanding the gospel. On the other hand, there are certain attributes
of bread or sheep that I think also play into the Truths conveyed in
scripture. For instance, the interplay of leavening and salt in making bread
is something that I believe is an important aspect of Jesus telling us that
we are the 'salt of the earth'. Salt inhibits the over-growth of yeast or
leavening. One doesn't leaven corn (or flour) tortillas, so that distinction
wouldn't be made by anyone later pondering that saying.

In our 'western culture' very few of us have actually seen a sheep up close,
nor do we know their habits, etc. but learning about that may help one more
fully grasp being a sheep in His flock, I think. One thing that comes to mind
is that I've heard it said of those of us who support more libertarian
principles in politics, that 'it's like herding cats'. In other words getting
a bunch of independent-minded persons to always follow the same script is a
difficult task.

Also, does that mean they'll change the animals the David herded in the Old
Testament from sheep to llamas, to make it more 'culturally relevant' ? I'm
not sure that we have that sort of leeway. I would suggest that such
things might be put in a commentary or a study aid of some sort, but if
the original hebrew, greek or aramaic says 'sheep' it should be translated
as sheep, or at least added as a footnote so they know what the original
says.

fwiw,

Cia W.