[CS-FSLUG] OT: Wycliffe Bible Translators Producing Muslim Friendly Bible

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Feb 3 08:11:17 CST 2012

It does appear that there is a translation that Wycliffe and New
Tribes are helping out, which is geared towards Muslims. The various
missions that at least have a role in this translation up are very
good organizations, using a lot of care as they translate. I have a
lot of respect for them, and know that even as they translate a
passage to something like, "I am the tortilla of life", that they do
so for a reason. A culture that does not have bread, does not
understand the phrase, "I am the bread of life." The translators
realized that Jesus was speaking about the primary dietary item that
was eaten with nearly every meal, flushing that meal out. The
passages where Jesus is the "good shepherd" has also been translated
to being herders of other animals which are native to their areas
(llamas anyone?). The point is not that Jesus chased fluffy white
animals around the place, but rather that He cares and is willing to
give His life for them... Using animals that are local to them help
considerably.

The question I did not see asked, nor see a good explanation for
would be this: "In this translation, how is the full deity and full
manhood of Jesus shown? And how is the relationship between Jesus and
God, which we so richly see relayed to us through the words
'adoption', 'children of God', etc. portrayed so we see not only
Jesus' role, but ours as part of His?" These missions are usually
extremely careful about their translations. I do not think there is
anything "magical" about the word "father" the same way as there is
nothing magical about the word "bread" or "sheep". But there is
something very important about the concepts involved and the theology
behind it.

I have a brother who did a test once. The organization that my
parents are with, Global Recordings, has audio materials in over
6,000 languages and dialects. My brother took a bunch of Muslim
gospel materials to one section of a city and handed them out, saying
he was taking a survey about what people thought about them. He got
his answer. He was yelled at, things were thrown at him, and he was
chased off a few times. He said the folks that were most helpful were
the ones that actually threw the casette tape back at him. The tape
was stopped nearly at the same location every time. He took it to a
Muslim friend of his and asked him to tell him what that point of the
tape was talking about. If I remember correctly, it was one of those
sections where Jesus was saying that he was the Son of God. (I will
try to ask him if he remembers, but he is a little slow in
responding, so this thread will probably be over with by the time I
hear back from him.) His response was to craft a much different set
of materials that was no less evangelistic, and no less true, but
that did not shock the listeners immediately by slapping them over
the head. It rather enticed them into listening, bring up points that
were thought-provoking, had obvious truth to them, slightly
argumentative, and finally, blatent. He had much better response to
this new script.

So the question is this. Does Wycliffe still think it is being true
to the Gospel, true to the nature of Jesus and God, and still
containing the power of the scriptures with this translation? Anyone
who has witnessed knows that the power of the Gospel is not in the
words spoken. I have misquoted scriptures many times, and still had
the Spirit of God touch a heart or mind. Our words are not what truly
changes someone, but it is the Spirit of God working through us that
does it. It is the same with the words on paper. If someone burns a
Bible, God does not lose part of himself. God is still as powerful as
ever; He is never-changing. God is not "contained in the Bible" in
that He can only work through it's pages. God can use a "faulty
translation" the same way He can use our pitiful attempts to express
His love through our human actions.

It is important to stay true to His word, and to do our best. But I
think only the people involved in the translation will be able to
speak to the "why" and "how" questions. Until then, I will just have
to trust that these people, who have put the Bible so faithfully into
the languages of so many peoples, are doing their best to remain
faithful even here. We just have a harder time understanding how they
are doing it.

- Tim Young