[CS-FSLUG] OT: PC(USA) okay with 'gay' clergy

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Fri May 13 07:54:07 CDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 02:27, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 10:42 PM, "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller at lightlink.com>
> wrote:
>
> > True. However, it's my experience, limited as that might be, that once
> correction has been attempted.....multiple times and rejected, it's clear
> that getting back to Biblical dictates isn't going to happen. For me, the
> course then is most clear.
>
> I think I would mostly agree. But, if I were in a sound congregation in the
> PC(USA), I would probably have a hard time leaving over a denominational
> thing. Given the "local option" system of this change, some whole
> presbyteries may refuse to go with the flow...

It is doubtful many Presbyteries will. Most of the conservative churches
have abandoned that ship. The confessing church movement had its impact for
a while, but hte largest of these churches have left. Typically the
Presbyteries seize all the property, and then give it to the few members who
did not want to leave.  They then take on the debt of the churches, because
they can't afford the publicity of the church failing after their actions.
The majority of these ex-PC-USA churches have moved to the EPC (E is for
Evangelical) and are in the New Wine Skins Presbytery which was created as a
place for these churches while they become settled and decide where they
will be going from there. Many will stay and join Presbyteries, and others
will form new Presbyteries, while others will change denominations
completely. The benefit of EPC is it has the same form of government, while
the church does no cede its property rights to the Presbytery.
--
JD Runyan