[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Word of the Day: Dhimmitude

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun May 30 20:14:32 CDT 2010

On 05/30/2010 01:18 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Added OT tag.
>
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:56:57 -0500, Fred A. Miller
> <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> Muslims are specifically exempted from the government mandate
>> to purchase insurance, and also from the penalty tax for
>> being uninsured.
>
> Just to provide some context, there are quite a few religious
> exemptions in other federal mandates, and in many states, which seem
> to give those exempted some sort of unfair advantage. For example,
> there was a time when, if I claimed to be a Sikh in the US Army, I
> could stop shaving, wear a funny hat, a dagger on my belt, and so
> forth. That exemption died, as have others, but others have arisen. I
> suppose what makes this particular exemption (I don't doubt it exists,
> but I don't really worry about it)
> more odious is it is tied to a particularly odious mandate.

Yes, it is, and the exemption DOES exist! I'm one of the few people who
has read the ENTIRE bill, and that wasn't any easy undertaking, I can
assure you!

> On a related note, it remains to be seen whether various 10th
> Amendment exercises will eventually kill the entire "Obamacare" thing.

I don't know, Ed, what the success or lack of it there will be. There's
enough in the bill it's self that is violation of the Constitution that
it SHOULD be declared "dead" on it's own. IF that doesn't happen, then
our only hope is to elect a conservative enough Congress this Nov. to
pass legislation killing it and then over-ride "O"s veto.

Fred

--
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it
tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown