[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Word of the Day: Dhimmitude

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun May 30 12:18:51 CDT 2010

Added OT tag.

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:56:57 -0500, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>
wrote:

> Muslims are specifically exempted from the government mandate
> to purchase insurance, and also from the penalty tax for
> being uninsured.

Just to provide some context, there are quite a few religious exemptions
in other federal mandates, and in many states, which seem to give those
exempted some sort of unfair advantage. For example, there was a time
when, if I claimed to be a Sikh in the US Army, I could stop shaving, wear
a funny hat, a dagger on my belt, and so forth. That exemption died, as
have others, but others have arisen. I suppose what makes this particular
exemption (I don't doubt it exists, but I don't really worry about it)
more odious is it is tied to a particularly odious mandate.

On a related note, it remains to be seen whether various 10th Amendment
exercises will eventually kill the entire "Obamacare" thing.

--
Ed Hurst