[CS-FSLUG] Copying files and permissions

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Apr 12 20:11:30 CDT 2010

Hi.
On a directory, you want the x bit.  So you want permission: 755 (not
644).  The x on a directory basically gives you the ability to cd into
the directory and do a ls.  But, on files, you might want 644 (because
they are data files, not executable files).

So you can do two different commands.  At the top of your directory,
make everything 644.
   chmod -R 644 .
Then, set the permissions of the directories to 755.
   find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

     - Tim