[CS-FSLUG] Copying files and permissions

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Mon Apr 12 19:57:22 CDT 2010

Thank you all. Let me refine by restating, there are three steps.

1. copy files from Windows NTFS to external drive NTFS
2. wipe Windows and install Ubuntu
3. copy files from external drive NTFS to ext3

Obviously the issue comes at #3. If I copy them from a VFAT jump drive,
it's about the same thing. I get the triple 'x' on every file and folder,
or I get 'drwx------' and '-rw-------'

Further note: In times past, specifically with Ubuntu and other Debian
friends, when I use 'chmod -R 644', it manages to clobber access to the
folders. Instead of 'drwxr-xr-x' I get 'drw-r--r--'. I have no idea why.

--
Ed Hurst