[CS-FSLUG] LinDVD & Netflix - No Sound

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 26 12:55:14 CDT 2009

On Saturday 26 September 2009 10:55:54 am Don Parris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been renting movies from Redbox and playing them on my Dell Inspiron
> 530 running Ubuntu 9.04 without a hitch.  I decided to try out Netflix
> (greater selection), and put my first movie into play, only I get no sound.
> Everything else is fine.  I have searched far & wide and have found
> absolutely nothing beyond a reference to Xine (installing it helped someone
> else get sound under LinDVD), but I have several of those packages
> installed already.  I have no other problems with sound, believe me.  It's
> only when playing the Netflix DVD.
>
> Google mostly shows results about watching Netflix on-line or about the
> legality of libdvdcss - but I got LinDVD when I bought this Ubuntu box from
> Dell - do I still need libdvdcss?  Do I need some other component?  Would
> be nice to watch my movies.  I no longer have a t.v./dvd player, so that is
> not an option.
>
> Anyone got ideas on this?
>

> Many thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Don
I use Kubuntu, not Ubuntu and the two are slightly different, but perhaps you
can get information of value anyway.  In kubuntu, using the CLI, I type in
'sudo apt-get install kubuntu restricted-extras (it may be without the - , but
I am sure that the instruction is similar for a Gnome install.  In any event,
it will install everything you need, I believe.  I am not sure it will improve
your sound, but it will enable play of most video extensions.

You will probably get better help, but if not, write me back and I will do a
little research to see what you might need.  My system is kubuntu Jaunty with
kde 4.3.  You should probably install libdvdcss2 and winW3Ccodecs too.  It is
also a good thing to install Moblock.  Many have problems when installing
Moblock, but it eliminates all those who might want to monitor your downloads.
I have one small problem using it; I haven't figured out how to get my email
program working when it is installed, but after reading my emails and
answering same, I restart moblock and it screens all unwanted eavesdroppers.

I hope this info is useful.

Steven