[CS-FSLUG] LinDVD & Netflix - No Sound

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 09:55:54 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been renting movies from Redbox and playing them on my Dell Inspiron
530 running Ubuntu 9.04 without a hitch.  I decided to try out Netflix
(greater selection), and put my first movie into play, only I get no sound.
Everything else is fine.  I have searched far & wide and have found
absolutely nothing beyond a reference to Xine (installing it helped someone
else get sound under LinDVD), but I have several of those packages installed
already.  I have no other problems with sound, believe me.  It's only when
playing the Netflix DVD.

Google mostly shows results about watching Netflix on-line or about the
legality of libdvdcss - but I got LinDVD when I bought this Ubuntu box from
Dell - do I still need libdvdcss?  Do I need some other component?  Would be
nice to watch my movies.  I no longer have a t.v./dvd player, so that is not
an option.

Anyone got ideas on this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Don
--
D.C. Parris, LEED Green Associate
Minister, Security Officer, Free Software Advocate