[CS-FSLUG] LinDVD & Netflix - No Sound

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 13:36:42 CDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On Saturday 26 September 2009 10:55:54 am Don Parris wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been renting movies from Redbox and playing them on my Dell Inspiron
> > 530 running Ubuntu 9.04 without a hitch.  I decided to try out Netflix
> > (greater selection), and put my first movie into play, only I get no
> sound.
> > Everything else is fine.  I have searched far & wide and have found
> > absolutely nothing beyond a reference to Xine (installing it helped
> someone
> > else get sound under LinDVD), but I have several of those packages
> > installed already.  I have no other problems with sound, believe me.
>  It's
> > only when playing the Netflix DVD.
> >

> I use Kubuntu, not Ubuntu and the two are slightly different, but perhaps
> you
> can get information of value anyway.  In kubuntu, using the CLI, I type in
> 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu restricted-extras (it may be without the - ,
> but
> I am sure that the instruction is similar for a Gnome install.  In any
> event,
> it will install everything you need, I believe.  I am not sure it will
> improve
> your sound, but it will enable play of most video extensions.
>
> You will probably get better help, but if not, write me back and I will do
> little research to see what you might need.  My system is kubuntu Jaunty
> with
> kde 4.3.  You should probably install libdvdcss2 and winW3Ccodecs too.  It
> is
> also a good thing to install Moblock.  Many have problems when installing
> Moblock, but it eliminates all those who might want to monitor your
> downloads.
> I have one small problem using it; I haven't figured out how to get my
> email
> program working when it is installed, but after reading my emails and
> answering same, I restart moblock and it screens all unwanted
> eavesdroppers.
>
> Hi Steve, I downloaded VLC, which offers choppy sound and goofy video.  But
I know sound works - just not under LinDVD with the Netflix DVD.  It's like
I'm almost there, but not quite. I wonder if installing
Ubuntu-restricted-exras will solve it?  That doesn't install libdvdcss, but
it seems like I really shouldn't need that at this point, since I am able to
play DVD's - just not the one from Netflix.

Anyway, I think I'll wait to see some other responses before I do much else.

--
D.C. Parris, LEED Green Associate
Minister, Security Officer, Free Software Advocate