[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Sep 18 13:20:48 CDT 2009

Hi Ed,

ok, this is my first post to the group since joining a couple of weeks
ago. I was trying to get a simple NFS share going between my laptop
(Fedora 7) and pc (dual-boot CentOS 5.3 and Fedora 11); and I've given
up on that for the moment but -- it took a lot of time so I haven't yet
sent an intro for myself. So, ummmm... hi all!

My basic understanding of the DNS issue is that every web site and
computer attached to the internet has it's own I.P. address. I won't go
into the whole public and private IP question, but internal networks
use what are called 'private I.P.'s' and the sites you visit on the web
as well as the I.P.'s used by your ISP are 'public IP's'

What a 'nameserver' does is take the 'name' of the website (i.e.
ofb.biz) and match it with the actual I.P. address of that site. So if
you happen to know the I.P. numbers for a particular site, (and if it
doesn't change) you could actually enter that number in the address bar
of your browser rather than the 'name.com' of the site, and still get
to the same place IF it still exists. There are also websites to do DNS
lookups; and you can also do a ping from a terminal window to get the
I.P. of a particular website. For instance, I just did a ping of
ofb.biz and find the I.P. for that is: (208.43.84.98) -- use ctrl-c to
stop the ping... of course, when I entered http://208.43.84.98 I got to
a place-holder page for cPanel. So it's not a perfect method...

At any rate, the short answer is: if you know the I.P. address of the
web site then you don't need DNS -- but DNS does make it a lot easier!

Cia W