[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Sep 18 12:25:01 CDT 2009

Trying to avoid the political implications here, I'm hoping we can stick
to the topic: DNS service.

My knowledge is limited. Let's pretend for a moment some ruler decides for
his country to "shut down the Net" the only way he knows -- kill the root
DNS servers, or something similar.

For those running a namecaching server, that's not immediately a problem
for their favorite sites. However, I am under the impression that server
tries to renew/recheck now and then. Am I mistaken? Is there a way to
prevent losing all your favorites if DNS disappears?

Feel free to ridicule my ignorance, but at least try to answer the main
question. :-D

--
Ed Hurst