[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Sep 18 13:33:24 CDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:20:48 -0500, Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net> wrote:

> For instance, I just did a ping of
> ofb.biz and find the I.P. for that is: (208.43.84.98) -- use ctrl-c to
> stop the ping... of course, when I entered http://208.43.84.98 I got to
> a place-holder page for cPanel. So it's not a perfect method.

Thanks, and welcome Cia!

Yes, I've run into that before. A great many servers have their own stack
of multiple website, each corresponding to the same IP address. You can
get the machine, but I have no idea how to get the machine to pass me the
homepage of some site we all know is there.

I've used Bind9 and DJBDNS nameserver caching before. But from reading the
documentation, what little I understood, it seemed to indicate the server
would periodically renew the cache in case based on something to do with
keeping up to date with updated address matching on the zone and root
servers.

Even when running traceroute in verbose active mode, I couldn't quite make
out just what I might do if I got an IP address for a favorite site which
was stacked with others on that single IP address.

--
Ed Hurst