[CS-FSLUG] Karmic Koala

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Oct 31 22:02:17 CDT 2009

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:54:40 -0500, Lincoln Fessenden
<l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

> You don't believe in Slackware?

Let me save you some time, Bro. Linc. Slackware remains indelibly stained
in my mind with the close association of it's founder, and his product, to
the Church of the Subgenius. Had that been merely a big joke on churches,
I'd have thought nothing of it. But the whole thing sarcastically mocks
faith itself, and Patrick did his best to associate himself publicly with
it. We still have some of the images from that joke in the standard
screensavers, BTW. It's just a matter of my own conscience.

As for Mint, I tried a couple of different releases. I saw no advantage at
all over Ubuntu, and didn't much care for the default colors of either.
Further, I recall reading of a complete commitment by the Mint folks to
rolling release, which I despise. With Ubuntu, at least, I can work into
the next LTS for a three-year support cycle. Failing that, I have some
small hope for CentOS 6 in the spring providing a far greater lifespan. I
love CentOS, and tolerate Ubuntu/Debian. I once loved SUSE, but too many
bad releases in a row have turned me off once and for all. Their 8.2 was
the last time I got things working properly and stable. I suppose 10.3
came close, but it was still rough, but I had to give it a chance.

Yes, I have hard prejudices. :-D

--
Ed Hurst