[CS-FSLUG] Karmic Koala

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 31 22:37:28 CDT 2009

Ed Hurst wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:54:40 -0500, Lincoln Fessenden
> <l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:
>
>> You don't believe in Slackware?
>
> Let me save you some time, Bro. Linc. Slackware remains indelibly
> stained in my mind with the close association of it's founder, and his
> product, to the Church of the Subgenius. Had that been merely a big
> joke on churches, I'd have thought nothing of it. But the whole thing
> sarcastically mocks faith itself, and Patrick did his best to
> associate himself publicly with it. We still have some of the images
> from that joke in the standard screensavers, BTW. It's just a matter
> of my own conscience.
>
> As for Mint, I tried a couple of different releases. I saw no
> advantage at all over Ubuntu, and didn't much care for the default
> colors of either. Further, I recall reading of a complete commitment
> by the Mint folks to rolling release, which I despise. With Ubuntu, at
> least, I can work into the next LTS for a three-year support cycle.
> Failing that, I have some small hope for CentOS 6 in the spring
> providing a far greater lifespan. I love CentOS, and tolerate
> Ubuntu/Debian. I once loved SUSE, but too many bad releases in a row
> have turned me off once and for all. Their 8.2 was the last time I got
> things working properly and stable. I suppose 10.3 came close, but it
> was still rough, but I had to give it a chance.
>
> Yes, I have hard prejudices. :-D
So do I.....one of them is Islam. If one is a real Christian, he/she
adheres to the edicts of the Bible. If one is a real Muslim, he/she
adheres to the dictates of the Quran. Simple.

I have Ubuntu 9.1 now installed on this Dell laptop. I'm going to give
it a solid hard workout for the next few days, then make a decision as
to what I want to do. I've always disliked Gnome, but I'm giving it an
honest workout. I've not had the bad installs and problems you've had
with openSUSE, fortunately. I also support a LOT of systems so if I
decide to make a change, I have a LOT of work to do. But, like you,
there's some things with openSUSE that I don't like.

Fred

--
Someone is a liberal when you can't reason them out of
anything, because they never reason themselves into any