[CS-FSLUG] SuSE

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Oct 25 14:00:26 CDT 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 11:15:22 pm Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>>  David McGlone wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 October 2009 3:49:21 pm Timothy Butler wrote:
>>
>> Well, KDE is sort of like a shiny Pinto these days. Windows is more
>> like a KIA without the ten year warranty. Move up to a Chevy by
>> switching to GNOME or go for a BMW by switching to Mac OS X. :-P
>>
>> If your more of a Tesla kind a guy, go for Haiku.
>>
>>         -Tim
>>

>> I took your advice Tim. I installed Gnome alongside my KDE and I'm trying
>>  it out right now.
>>
>> Right off the bat I can tell by the looks of how text actually fit into
>>  dialogs, dialogs resize automatically accordingly, that it seems well
>>  thought out and attention is paid to detail.
>>
>> So far I've checked out Totem, it works good. I even like the youtube
>>  thing. Pretty cool if you ask me.
>>
>> I even like the default software installer, "add/remove programs" and it
>>  works far better than the one in KDE. Why is this so??? I have to install
>>  synaptic on KDE because their software installer is junk!
>>
>>  In openSUSE you have Yast.....the 1, single, app. that is missing in all
>>  other distros. and makes administration a LOT easier than in ANY other
>>  distro!
>>
>> Here's something else:
>>
>> After you suggested Gnome, I installed it on my laptop while my desktop was
>> downloading OpenSuSE 11.1.
>>
>> When the download was done, I tried to burn the ISO to a CD and K3B spit
>>  out and error "cd record has no permissions to open device" I tried like 3
>>  times and wasted 3 CD-R's.
>>
>>  Download the DVD ISO.....it's a MUCH more complete install.
>>
>> I then went to gnome and tried using the CD/DVD creator and it worked
>>  without a hitch.
>>
>> Here's another thing thats funny. the SuSE ISO I downloaded, Kubuntu named
>>  it "Kubuntu-live-CD.iso"
>>
>> Last but not least, after I send this E-Mail, It's time to put Gnome to the
>> test for my original problem. Scanning.
>>
>> If you know of any good scanning apps specific to gnome that you would
>> recommend, shoot me an e-mail.
>>
>> I think I'll ditch the SuSE Idea for the time being and give Gnome a try,
>> because I just can't bring myself to give up apt. It stops me in my tracks
>> every darn time! :-)
>>

> Well I finally got at least my scanner recognized, and it opened a whole new
> can of worms!!
>
> Now SANE recognizes my scanner and I scan an image, but try to save it and
> SANE crashes. No error no nothing!
>
> So I try scanlite. It works, but it takes it a good 4 minutes to scan a wallet
> size picture. Pathetic! After scanning with scanlite, I needed to edit the
> image, so I fire up gimp click open and gimp crashes every time. No error
> nothing! Pathetic!
>
> So I switch over to gnome, still same results with gimp, but this time all my
> icons on my desktop magically disappear and nothing works! Ha Pathetic!

> [...]
I never would have gotten that idea. ;)

David, I assume you're using Ubuntu? Did you create separate partitions
or did you allow Ubuntu to do it? If the former and a flavor of Linux
was installed, did you format those partitions when installing Ubuntu?
The problem(s) you're having sound to me like a library or a library &
driver problem. Something definitely isn't right.

Fred

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and