[CS-FSLUG] Image Clarity Differences Between GNU & Win Systems?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 29 10:33:49 CST 2009

Don Parris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Debian Etch for a lady (See the Blue GNU blog post)
> and did not have her monitor when I installed it.  I only had a 15" CRT
> to use for installation, so can't expect much with respect to image
> quality.  At any rate, I wanted to follow up with her about her new
> system, and she said her only gripe was that images don't seem as
> sharp.  I'm not sure I would notice unless there was a really serious
> discrepency between the images on one system and those on the other.
> Unfortunately, I can really only go by her word - I blew away Windows to
> install Debian.
>
> Has anyone else noticed any issues along these lines?  Were you able to
> resolve the issue(s)?  I'm guessing she might need to adjust her monitor
> a bit, but I don't know beyond that what might cause a difference.

Don, I don't know what xwindows utility Debian uses....sax2 maybe? Whatever
it is needs to be run after the system comes up....use init 3 and will
be konsole. Run
the utility so that the system can sense the monitor and it's refresh
rates. Once that's
done, she should get the best video her card and monitor combo. can give
her.

Fred

--
Someone is a liberal when you can't reason them out of
anything, because they never reason themselves into any