[CS-FSLUG] Qt relicensed as LGPL

Eduardo Sánchez lists at sombragris.org
Sun Jan 18 17:55:39 CST 2009

On Sunday 18 January 2009 17.48.34 Timothy Butler wrote:
> > Mean it might be, but lean it's not. Firefox on GNU/Linux is 10 MB.
> > Hardly the "browser on a floppy" the Mozilla people wanted.
> > Konqueror is
> > half the size.
>
> 	Hmm... that doesn't really sound all that bad to me in the present
> day and age.

Maybe for you... but here, computer resources are scarce. Firefox is a
massive behemoth on goyeneche (my office's 192 MB Celeron 466, IBM PC
300 GL), while Konqueror is much leaner.

The best way to use Gecko for both email and browsing in that PC is,
paradoxically, to use Seamonkey instead of FF (Seamonkey uses much less
RAM than a simultaneous load of both FF and Thunderbird).

> 	It usually renders stuff right for me (the same as WebKit). I
> actually find more quirks in WebKit, I believe, when I do web
> development, even though I use the WebKit driven Safari primarily (on
> my computer and phone).
>
> 	I wouldn't mind seeing Chrome succeed, though, although I'm not sure
> if it is in everyone's best interest to have the browser market
> dominated by the same company that dominates the search market.
> Mozilla's somewhat of a free agent. I was actually hoping Apple
> Safari would spread more, but Apple hasn't figured out how to get
> Windows users excited about it yet. If it did, though, that would be
> good for WebKit.

FF's usual rendering is great. It has its quirks, however; and the
problem I see is that in complex websites, I see people targeting more
FF's quirks rather than standards. This has little chance of improving,
because of the sheer market share of FF. Perhaps is something that comes
with success.

You are right with Chrome. However, its success would cause better
rendering for both WebKit and KHTML engines, so both Safari and Konq/Win
would have more chances to succeed.

Blessings,

Eduardo

--