[CS-FSLUG] sudo, alternatives, configurators

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sun Jan 11 21:11:02 CST 2009

> In my experience, SMB breaks down pretty quickly in any kind of
> environment without negligible latency (even in ones without much) as
> macrosuck apps like to make scads of small requests.

Yup.  SMB doesn't do latency :-)
> AFS has had some huge performance increases in the last couple of
> months, and works well on latent links.  It even has some support for
> windows (http://www.openafs.org/pages/windows.html), but may be overkill
> for your needs, although it may be fun if you are into that kind of
> thing.
>
> I think you can even mount webdav within windows, but haven't played
> with it at all.

I'm pretty sure you're right about WebDAV, but given that its support is
so scanty and vague in general, I don't dare consider it.  I am very
curious about OpenAFS now; I took a look at the page:  do they have a
server component for Windows which does not require its own partition?
That was the rub, last time I checked, a number of years ago.
>> Do you have a simple way to have SMB NAS or XP Home shares mount
>> automatically at login?
>>

> Is what you are looking for wildly divergent from what autofs does?  Is
> it that you want users to be able to mount arbitrary windows shares
> based on their own config?
>

> Chris

What I would like to do really, at user-level, is to run one single GUI
app which can show a tree-hierarchy of every available share (optimally,
SMB + NFS + AFS + any others we want to get interested in), and permit
me to set any of them to automatically get mounted at login.  No extra
'sudo' password entries, network passwords to be stored safely somehow.
In other words, I'd like to do what the big DE file manager developers
imagined, but for real, with real shares, not the fakery.

But given that the above is not available (given that I am not
programmer enough to consider starting this as a project!), I don't have
wants that make sense for end-users to self-configure at all :-(...but I
would like to be able to set up something in their user-level
autostartup, which mounts SMB shares.  Autofs and fstab don't cut it,
because we're talking peer-to-peer, where the destination device may be
turned off.  I don't want them to have to log out and in again to
remount shares, I want them either to persist and auto-remount, or (as I
have now, but with sudo-passwording) a script launcher on desktop for
the remount.

J.E.B.