[CS-FSLUG] sudo, alternatives, configurators

Chris chris at deksai.com
Sun Jan 11 20:23:22 CST 2009

>I have even looked into NFS on XP Home (Cygwin does it supposedly, I'm
>not so sure having tried it) and other wildcards (OpenAFS?) as ways to
>work around Microsoft's non-self-compliant XP Home SMB, but thus far,
>nothing has worked well.

In my experience, SMB breaks down pretty quickly in any kind of
environment without negligible latency (even in ones without much) as
macrosuck apps like to make scads of small requests.

AFS has had some huge performance increases in the last couple of
months, and works well on latent links.  It even has some support for
windows (http://www.openafs.org/pages/windows.html), but may be overkill
for your needs, although it may be fun if you are into that kind of
thing.

I think you can even mount webdav within windows, but haven't played
with it at all.

> Do you have a simple way to have SMB NAS or XP Home shares mount
> automatically at login?

Is what you are looking for wildly divergent from what autofs does?  Is
it that you want users to be able to mount arbitrary windows shares
based on their own config?

Chris