[CS-FSLUG] IMAP email software

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sun Jan 4 15:54:13 CST 2009

Jon Glass wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
> <jeb at joshuacorps.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyone using IMAP for email?  Is Thunderbird the only reliable and
>> fully-functional (HTML editing and viewing, multiple accounts, etc.) email
>> application on Linux?  Every 3-6 months I tend to try KMail or Evolution or
>> something, but they have always disappointed.
>>

> If you hadn't thrown in the absolutely unreasonable html request, ;-)
> I would have recommended Sylpheed, but since you did......
>
> ;-)
>
> I'm trying to think of where Kmail fails over T-bird, and nothing
> comes to mind. What exactly don't you like about Kmail, other than it
> would be a KDE app in gnome or something like.

Last time I tried KMail, it was actually in KDE, under Kubuntu or
something, running in a very native environment.  It worked OK for POP,
but crashed a whole lot under IMAP.  It is true that it was something
akin to a year ago; I'll try it again, and report.  I am using an
extremely stable IMAP environment now, part of my company's reseller
agreement; if KMail's IMAP is usable it should work.  Although I'm not
doing KDE now at all, I'm doing either Mint's default Gnome or ROX, so
that might get interesting.

J.E.B.