[CS-FSLUG] Server masquerading as client

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Wed Apr 8 08:43:11 CDT 2009

I wonder if what you want is fetchmail.

>From their website: http://fetchmail.berlios.de
"Fetchmail is a full-featured, robust, well-documented remote-mail retrieval
and forwarding utility intended to be used over on-demand TCP/IP links (such
as SLIP or PPP connections). It supports every remote-mail protocol now in
use on the Internet: POP2, POP3, RPOP, APOP, KPOP, all flavors of
IMAP<http://www.imap.org/>,
ETRN, and ODMR. It can even support IPv6 and IPSEC."

Of course, I may not understand the goal of what your trying to accomplish
or fully understand the opportunities of fetchmail.

JSR/

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance.
>
> Is there a means by which an internal mail server on a Linux box can
> masquerade itself as a mail client? Most mail service will bounce a
> relay, but will cooperate all day long with standard mail clients.
>
> I realize this might open a Pandora's box of evil, but I'm not
> interested in dirty work. I have several accounts on several different
> services, and there seems no way to run them all from a single console
> client. I understand there are ways to setup, say Postfix, with multiple
> relay hosts, but most of my services block relays from a private
> machine. Of course, we all know that's a spam reduction measure, and I
> fully accept that. Is there a mail server I can run which will talk to
> the distant mail host in such a way as to prevent looking like a mail
> server, and appear as a client?
>
> --
> Ed Hurst

Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen
http://missions.ritchietribe.net