[CS-FSLUG] Server masquerading as client

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed Apr 8 09:53:51 CDT 2009

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> I wonder if what you want is fetchmail.
[snip]

>> Is there a means by which an internal mail server on a Linux box can
>> masquerade itself as a mail client? Most mail service will bounce a
>> relay, but will cooperate all day long with standard mail clients.

No, that's not where the problems lie. It's getting the mail from my
machine out through the multiple remote mail servers. I've never had a
POP server balk at cooperating with Fetchmail, but just about all the
mail services by default refuse to talk to SMTP services running on a
home Linux machine. The idea is to get AT&T, for example, to treat my
internal SMTP server as a client. Can I change the way my system mail
server talks to AT&T, or is there a standard mail mover which allows for
this?

--
Ed Hurst