[CS-FSLUG] Video Capture Cards

EnzoAeneas enzoaeneas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:45:06 CDT 2008

I have done too much capture and encoding on Linux, though I have
gotten all of video capture/tv tuner cards (and USB adapters) to allow
me to watch television. In general, that is what I use it for in
Linux. You will definitely want an encoder and mencoder (comes with
mplayer)  is an excellent choice. I use it to download streaming video
to my computer. You may, though, want to get a frontend that is able
to use many different encoders so that you can use the best one in
every situation. I like mediacoder (
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/ ). As far as video editing, I am
looking for a solution my self, but there are so many , that i need to
find time to test them. Anyone know of software that will allow you to
do real-time video overlay? I want to be able to take the live footage
of our services and place useful information, such as presentation
slides, announcements, song lyrics, on top of it so that our nursery
workers (who see the service live already) can get that other
information. This would also be useful for video offerings on our
website. Any ideas there?

Kevin