[CS-FSLUG] Video Capture Cards

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 11:05:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> I'm considering making some instructional videos to post on YouTube. I
> find the idea of using a webcam won't fit my vision for this project.
> However, the digital videocams I've seen are outside my budget.
>
> On the other hand, I can get a video capture card -- ATI TV Wonder VE --
> free. I may be able to get an older analog video camera. Does anyone
> have any useful experience in using such a setup to produce videos of
> that sort?

I have a winfast pvr 2000 deluxe. I've generally used mencoder + a
shell script to capture the video. Then Avidemux (
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/  ) to do simple editing. You can
also use Kino for the editing (but it needs to convert your original
file to DV format before it can do anything, and I've had  quite a few
stability issues with it).

If you are interested, I can cut & paste the contents of my shell
script into another email (when I am not downstairs tapping on my
laptop).

Davo