[CS-FSLUG] [PD] The American Flag - I'm speechless...

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Mon Oct 20 10:30:26 CDT 2008

2008/10/20 Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com>:
> As for the flag... I am not an American and I can tell you that Mr Obama is
> right when he says that the American flag is not associated with peace. It
> is sad, but it is true.
>
> I for one am also ashamed of my own anthem (the French one, which is very
> violent) and would like it to be changed. It has nothing to do whatsoever
> with Jesus or the Bible in my opinion.

Our anthems reference to bombs is one of the bombs being tossed in our
general direction, and how when it was done, our flag still stood. It
was an alliteration of the fact, our heart was not lost and we fought
on to finish fighting for freedom.

I also take exception to the idea that violence is somehow
automatically offensive to Christians. The Bible does not portray a
pacifist God. It does not portray a weak Jesus. It portrays a God who
sent his people to fight. It portrays a Jesus who did not fight to
protect hist own skin, he did chase the money lenders out of the
temple while throwing over tables. I doubt those money lenders(notice
plural) stood buy placidly while Jesus kicked them out of his "House".

Peace between nations is not a Christian goal. Neither is warfare for
that matter. Christianity at its core is about saving souls,
individual souls. All the concerns over politics and nations or
kingdoms are mostly human. The nation of Israel was despised in the
Bible by its neighbors. God never told them to go play nice and make
them friends. As a matter of fact, he often told them to do the
opposite.  I am not saying war is a good thing, I'm just saying that
the assumption that it is bad is contra-Biblical.

--
JD Runyan

Bob Hope  - "A James Cagney love scene is one where he lets the other guy live."