[CS-FSLUG] Try Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.2 Nathan and all others interested

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 06:52:47 CST 2008

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Kubuntu Hardy to Intrepid, probably
will do so next weekend. I just have a few concerns, so I'm wondering
if those of you who use it have run across this stuff.

* Does user switching work? I use this to share my laptop with my
wife. Works fine Feisty through Hardy in KDE 3.5.x, but when I tried
to run KDE4 in Hardy it didn't work.

* Does it automatically put your monitor(s) into powersaving mode
after inactivity? I use Fedora 9 at work with KDE4 and it currently
does not work. (It started not working, then worked for a while after
an update, and was broke again by another update.) This is extremely
essential because I don't want my laptop screen backlight worn down.
(I generally leave my laptop on 24x7, because suspend/resume doesn't
reliably work in Linux.)

* If you have an nVidia card, have you been hit by the "slowness bug"?
I've heard reports of it but am not sure how widespread it is. I have
a 7600 and use the binary driver (but don't like it!).

* In Konqueror, if you hold down Ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel to
increase the font size, does it automatically word wrap correctly?
Works great in Konq 3.5, but everywhere I've used 4.x it did not re-do
the word-wrap, causing the page width to far exceed my monitor space,
requiring me to scroll horizontally each line.

If any of the first three fail after the upgrade, I'll probably have
to use GNOME for this release cycle, until Jaunty fixes KDE. If only
the last fails, I can get by with only Firefox. (I like Konqeror for
man page viewing though.)