[CS-FSLUG] Suspend Mode in Linux (was Try Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.2)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Nov 25 08:13:50 CST 2008

Micah Yoder wrote:

> * Does it automatically put your monitor(s) into powersaving mode
> after inactivity? I use Fedora 9 at work with KDE4 and it currently
> does not work. (It started not working, then worked for a while after
> an update, and was broke again by another update.) This is extremely
> essential because I don't want my laptop screen backlight worn down.
> (I generally leave my laptop on 24x7, because suspend/resume doesn't
> reliably work in Linux.)

I offer this as an aside to anyone interested.

With the recent work done in s2ram and s2disk, the only problems with
most machines is testing to discover the necessary switches. SUSE has a
fine tutorial on understanding how to do this:

   http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram

Yes, it still requires tinkering and writing a few text config files,
but I made it work on three different laptops, pretty much as it was
designed -- Dell Latitude D505, Toshiba Satellite 4020CDT (must remove
all hotplug devices), and an ancient Gateway Solo.

--
Ed Hurst