[CS-FSLUG] Try Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.2 Nathan and all others interested

EnzoAeneas enzoaeneas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 19:48:57 CST 2008

When my session would load and compiz would start, screensaver would
attempt to run with an OpenGL screensaver before the desktop would
finish loading. Then the screen would freeze. I would have to use
<CTRL>+<ALT>+<BACKSPACE> to kill the display manager and XServer. This
repeated itself every time I tried to login.

So I dug deep into the .kde directory for a configuration file (ksm
something). I opened it nano and deleted and adjusted all of the
entries relating to the screensaver  program that ran (kwave.kss).
Since the entries reference array elements and there was a "count="
entry, I decremented that by one (1), and  decremented the indices of
all of the elements after the offending entries.

I restarted X and voila! I had my desktop back!

--Kevin