[CS-FSLUG] [PD] Are Democrats to Blame for Gun Control? (was They have started already... HR6257 To Reauthorize the Assault Weapon Ban)

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Nov 16 17:49:02 CST 2008

Jon Glass wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
>>  The Republican Party almost always supports lower taxes across the board,
>> the Democrats support targeted tax cuts combined with targeted tax increases
>
> Not to change the subject, but the real issue with taxes is the view
> on their _purpose_. To the Democrat, taxes are a means of control, not
> so much as revenue generation. In other words, something is deemed
> "bad" you raise taxes on it--you punish it. Something is deemed good,
> you reward it with a tax break.* Republicans, or rather,
> constitutionalists, see taxes for what they truly are--revenue
> generation for the functioning of government. Taxes ought not be used
> for manipulating behavior. Taxes ought to be a straight percentage,
> and, IMO, ought to be on profits, not income. Also, income generated
> by taxes ought to be the limit that government spends. This is the
> only way to limit corruption in government, and keep it doing what it
> should be doing--assuring the common good of national defense. _That_
> is a genuine conservative view.
>
> *While on the topic of tax breaks, modern Democrats look at our
> tax-deductible contributions, charitable giving, and the churches as
> being given government money because they are not paying taxes.
> Remember, that is not a gift. All government "gifts" come with a
> price.... that price is control. They _will_ seek to control our
> churches eventually. This will be the means they get around the first
> amendment. I've read articles about this in the past, and I don't see
> how it will be avoided.

You are 100% correct!! The supremes ruled a long time ago that whatever
the Fed. Gov't spends money on, it therefore can control. The rational
WILL be used that funds declared as a tax deduction are therefore "tax
monies" and will fall under control of the Gov't.

Fred

--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have.

   -Thomas Jefferson