[CS-FSLUG] [PD] Are Democrats to Blame for Gun Control? (was They have started already... HR6257 To Reauthorize the Assault Weapon Ban)

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Nov 16 02:01:23 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:
>  The Republican Party almost always supports lower taxes across the board,
> the Democrats support targeted tax cuts combined with targeted tax increases

Not to change the subject, but the real issue with taxes is the view
on their _purpose_. To the Democrat, taxes are a means of control, not
so much as revenue generation. In other words, something is deemed
"bad" you raise taxes on it--you punish it. Something is deemed good,
you reward it with a tax break.* Republicans, or rather,
constitutionalists, see taxes for what they truly are--revenue
generation for the functioning of government. Taxes ought not be used
for manipulating behavior. Taxes ought to be a straight percentage,
and, IMO, ought to be on profits, not income. Also, income generated
by taxes ought to be the limit that government spends. This is the
only way to limit corruption in government, and keep it doing what it
should be doing--assuring the common good of national defense. _That_
is a genuine conservative view.

*While on the topic of tax breaks, modern Democrats look at our
tax-deductible contributions, charitable giving, and the churches as
being given government money because they are not paying taxes.
Remember, that is not a gift. All government "gifts" come with a
price.... that price is control. They _will_ seek to control our
churches eventually. This will be the means they get around the first
amendment. I've read articles about this in the past, and I don't see
how it will be avoided.

 --
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland