[CS-FSLUG] [PD] Are Democrats to Blame for Gun Control? (was They have started already... HR6257 To Reauthorize the Assault Weapon Ban)

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Sun Nov 16 09:46:09 CST 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008 1:54:29 am Timothy Butler wrote:

> >> 	I remain confused. That seems to be a law to restrict *gun control*
> >> rather than guns.
> >
> > What I'm trying to show here in this example is that if Republicans
> > were so
> > against gun control, why did'nt Regan just veto these instead
> > agreeing to
> > reform.
>
> 	The wise anti-gun control person, it sounds like, would support this
> bill. If you know you aren't going to overturn the gun laws, but you
> can lessen them -- you ought to lessen them.
>
> 	Politics is a pragmatic sport.

> >> 	Right. The senate, but not the house. See what I said next:
> >
> > A bill must be passed by both chambers the house and senate in order
> > to be
> > submitted to the president for approval.
>
> 	Right. All I noted was that the VP cannot break a tie in the house.
> He has no authority there.
>
> >> 	The proof will be in the pudding. Who actually gets the bill passed?
> >> It probably won't be Republicans.
> >
> > Maybe so, but has anyone ever thought that the 5 republicans that
> > presented
> > this bill knows that the majority is Democratic. Hmmm.
> >
> > Let me put it this way. If you were a Republican or Democrat Rep in
> > the house
> > and you wanted to try to sway or reinforce public opinion your way,
> > would you
> > introduce a bill that you know the majority of the other side
> > generally agrees
> > with and your side disagrees with knowing full well it will most
> > likely get
> > passed? I'm not saying that politicians do this, but it is a
> > possibility. Also
> > most people don't even pay attention to the legislative process they
> > just look
> > at it as a "Whole" with whoever is majority and whoever is president.
>
> 	Right. Well, that's most meaningful, in many ways. If I'm talking
> about Republicans, it does me a great deal more good to say, "on
> average the GOP does thus and so," rather than saying, "this liberal
> Republican voted like a Democrat, so Republicans are exactly the same
> as Democrats."
>
> 	That would be a non sequitur.
>
> >> 	Here's a case in point. Sen. McCain often sponsors Democratic
> >> favored
> >> bills, such as Comprehensive Immigration Reform. The fact that he
> >> sponsors it doesn't mean that Republicans generally support
> >> Democratic
> >> favored bills.
> >
> > This reinforces my argument that when a bill is introduced by a
> > certain
> > politician it is said to be sponsored by them, in other words it was
> > the idea
> > of the politician who introduced it and it reflects the way they
> > think. Just
> > because a couple Republicans or Democrats do not support the bill
> > being
> [...]

Your absolutely right. This discussion has slightly taken a different path.
Like you and Ed said about the Democrats and Republicans "the differences are
nil".

The whole point of me writing all this is something that some are forgetting
which is the original statement made by Fred "The Democrats are at it again".

I am not in no way defending the democrats. What I am trying to show is that
Fred did not state the truth, so I tried to point out who introduced this bill
for reinstatement and to show evidence of both sides, as to not bluntly call
him a liar, because there was a possibility Fred did not pay attention to who
introduced this bill and who co-sponsored it.

But, after pointing that out to him, he still denied it by finding one excuse
after another. That is what upset me the most.

This shows that some people will vehemently back their party up whether they
are right or wrong, and that is sad when it comes to American Democracy.

In my eyes, the guys that reintroduced this bill are the "bad apples" of the
Republican party and that is what I think Fred should have acknowledged
instead of flatly blaming the Democratic party as a "whole". This is why I
mentioned "totalitarianism".

All in all, I think, I and all the Conservative Democrats on and off this list
are owed an apology.

But, like I mentioned above, there are some people that have such a "closed"
mind and are too stubborn to admit fault, and listen to reasoning. That is why
I believe an apology will never come.

--
David M.