[CS-FSLUG] Political: 3rd Party

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:55:05 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:21 PM, David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net> wrote:

> office, so that made me lean torward the Democrats, then Bush Jr, has almost
> completely killed the Republicans for me.

That's understandable on the surface, but I'd advise against writing
off all Republicans because of Bush. Really, he was a mockery of
conservatism. Virtually everything he did involved bigger government
and infringement of our liberties. That's not what conservatives and
Republicans are supposed to stand for.

I voted for him enthusiastically in 2000 and grudgingly in 2004 for
one issue -- the Supreme Court. I didn't want Kerry picking justices.
Would have much rather voted for Peroutka of the Constitution Party.
Granted he did well on the supreme court picks, but that's about it.

Nowadays, the Republicans know they have to regroup and do a thorough
self-examination. They will have to get back to their roots, and if
they can sell that to the people, they have a good chance to gain in
2010 and 2012, especially if the far left tries to do too much and
offends the heartland.

I'm sort of thinking of writing an open smackdown letter to the
Republican National Committee, encouraging them to get to their roots
and take the moral high ground at all costs. Scandals have
unnecessarily marred far too many Republicans. When a member is found
in a scandal and it can't be immediately dismissed, he should be
quickly and unceremoniously booted from the party.

If they continue down the path they've been going, it's just a matter
of time until I officially bolt for the Libertarians.