[CS-FSLUG] Political: 3rd Party

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Thu Nov 6 00:39:52 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM, David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net> wrote:
>  I'm the kind of guy that likes to base my decisions on
> results.

That's the thing to be careful about--results could mean "bringing
home as much bacon for me as possible"...

If you really want to be informed, get yourself a copy of the
Constitution, read people like Jefferson and his arch-foe Hamilton,
especially the "Federalist Papers" which really help understand the
Constitution. Once you have absorbed these guys, then use them as your
lens to judge all candidates for office. You might be disappointed...

As to Clinton, when I ask people exactly what he did that they liked,
the few things they can think of were usually things that the Rep.
Congress initiated, and he simply signed! ;-)

As to the war, think of this, if Bush Sr. had gone into Baghdad in the
early 90s, it's highly possible that none of what happened in 2001 and
later would have happened. We may hate war, but sometimes, it becomes
a necessity. We also need to remember that the US, simply by being,
will be a target. The primary role of the federal government is
national security--above everything else. This includes the ugly
prospect of war.

I kind of liken the Constitution for the US Citizen to the Bible for
believers. One claims to be a believer, but knows nothing about
Scripture. How can that be? It is through Scripture we know Christ and
His will for us. One can be a US citizen, and not know the
Constitution, but how can one be an informed citizen? What if Obama is
not constitutionally-qualified to be president? The _only_ check on
his not becoming president is the US voter! If they are ignorant of
the very foundation of their government, how can our government stand
in the long run? This is a serious problem. Judge the politician by
his results--according to the Constitution... and no other.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland