[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Nov 4 14:58:51 CST 2008

> Just got home from buying 2 books so far. I got "Dogmatics in Outline"
> and "systematic theology" I'm going to start with systematic
> theology first
> and I have bookmarked the rest of the books on amazon for when I get
> more
> money together to buy them.

Enjoy! Don't forget to take advantage of used book options. Many of
these books can be had for very little on Amazon, etc.

>> 	You stand before God as his child. If you confess Christ as your
>> savior,
>
> He always has been. He always will be :-)

Amen!

> Now you know where I'm struggling. I don't even know where to begin
> to explain
> this. Maybe you could help me out by answering a question for me.
> Let's say
> hypothetically your wife was pregnant and was told she would die if
> she gave
> birth. What would you do?
>
> Other than that, I don't believe in abortion at all period. I don't
> believe a
> woman should be able to just do it for no reason at all.

Well, first, I'd suggest the wisest thing, if a woman has a serious
health condition, would be to avoid the pregnancy to begin with,
right? But, I think most people would be pleased (and see it great
progress) if we reduced abortion to only in cases of "rape, incest, or
physical health danger."

>> 	But that said, adult stem cell research has advanced to the point
>> these last few years since this issue was first raised that embryonic
>> stem cell research seems to be largely unnecessary.
>
> Very true. From what I have read and hear about embryonic stem cell
> research
> is that it happens between something like 7-11 days after the egg is
> fertilized and is not conceived within the womb but instead
> fertilized in a
> lab.

	Indeed. The most troubling part, I think to me, is that those embryos
are typically cloned from various genetic lines (see Somatic Cell
Nuclear Transfer or SCNT). But, many babies that are born are from
eggs fertilized in the lab as well, it should be noted, so there is
still basically an "abortion" that occurs.

> HeHeHe, I said I was a democrat, didn't say I was voting for Obama.
> Matter of
> fact I don't always vote democrat. I voted for Bush Sr.'s 2nd term.
> When he
> got beat by Clinton.

	Ah, you killed Bush! Well, then, by all means, vote for Obama. Maybe
it will help. ;-)

	Ironically, I supported Clinton both terms.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth