[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Wed Nov 5 21:09:42 CST 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 3:58:51 pm Timothy Butler wrote:
> > Just got home from buying 2 books so far. I got "Dogmatics in Outline"
> > and "systematic theology" I'm going to start with systematic
> > theology first
> > and I have bookmarked the rest of the books on amazon for when I get
> > more
> > money together to buy them.
>
> Enjoy! Don't forget to take advantage of used book options. Many of
> these books can be had for very little on Amazon, etc.

I took the Dogmatics in outline back to the bookloft and ordered it on amazon.
I haven't been able to start reading systematic theology yet. I've spent the
better part of this week clearing out a room in my house to make room my
Wife's brother's ex girlfriend and her kids to stay here till she can find
her a place.

> >> 	You stand before God as his child. If you confess Christ as your
> >> savior,
> >
> > He always has been. He always will be :-)
>
> Amen!
>
> > Now you know where I'm struggling. I don't even know where to begin
> > to explain
> > this. Maybe you could help me out by answering a question for me.
> > Let's say
> > hypothetically your wife was pregnant and was told she would die if
> > she gave
> > birth. What would you do?
> >
> > Other than that, I don't believe in abortion at all period. I don't
> > believe a
> > woman should be able to just do it for no reason at all.
>
> Well, first, I'd suggest the wisest thing, if a woman has a serious
> health condition, would be to avoid the pregnancy to begin with,
> right?

Very true.

> But, I think most people would be pleased (and see it great
> progress) if we reduced abortion to only in cases of "rape, incest, or
> physical health danger."

I never thought about rape or incest. I completely overlooked that.

> >> 	But that said, adult stem cell research has advanced to the point
> >> these last few years since this issue was first raised that embryonic
> >> stem cell research seems to be largely unnecessary.
> >
> > Very true. From what I have read and hear about embryonic stem cell
> > research
> > is that it happens between something like 7-11 days after the egg is
> > fertilized and is not conceived within the womb but instead
> > fertilized in a
> > lab.
>
> 	Indeed. The most troubling part, I think to me, is that those embryos
> are typically cloned from various genetic lines (see Somatic Cell
> Nuclear Transfer or SCNT). But, many babies that are born are from
> eggs fertilized in the lab as well, it should be noted, so there is
> still basically an "abortion" that occurs.

This is probably where I'm confused. I'm probably not literate enough about
the subject to make a decision, which is causing me to not come to a firm
stance.

> > HeHeHe, I said I was a democrat, didn't say I was voting for Obama.
> > Matter of
> > fact I don't always vote democrat. I voted for Bush Sr.'s 2nd term.
> > When he
> > got beat by Clinton.
>
> 	Ah, you killed Bush! Well, then, by all means, vote for Obama. Maybe
> it will help. ;-)

sadly, I didn't vote. I couldn't bring myself to support either candidate.

> 	Ironically, I supported Clinton both terms.

I voted for Bush Sr. because I was young and didn't know much. Then I voted
for Clintion his 2nd term. Kerry was too far left for me, but I took my
chances with him because all I could think about in that election was  "Like
Father, Like Son", and my own personal thought was " I do read lips!" LOL

--
David M.