[CS-FSLUG] Mac to Linux: Bible Software

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Nov 3 08:09:28 CST 2008

"Stephen J. McCracken" <smccracken at hcjb.org.ec> writes:
> I know many who use e-sword under WINE
> because there has been a community and readily available tools for
> people to make their own modules.  If things like this were readily
> available (they may be, I haven't checked lately), I'm sure it would
> help as the community could start to make what interests them from the
> Public Domain works available and "personal use" of some that someone
> might deem necessary, but not Public Domain, for their own use similar
> to what you have done with your second repository.

So help us build more community.  Please!  We could really use it.

As matters stand, those of us who have created modules from restricted
content stand paranoically at the edge of the copyright limitation
boundary (I don't step over it) and frankly I'd just not have to do
that.  I'd have been perfectly happy to $pend ca$h on NIV and NASB
modules, but they weren't available when I had first stumbled upon
GnomeSword, so I merely went surfing and scripting and suddenly there I
was with modules for both.

"Fred A. Miller" <fmiller at lightlink.com> writes:
> Thanks for the info., Karl, and for all the good work! I'd also look
> forward to a NKJV module.

Go to thomasnelson.com, find appropriate addresses, and send inquiries
about licensing NKJV and other titles to The Sword Project.  (Among my
hidden modules are "Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary" and "What
Does the Bible Say About".)  We like giving stuff away, but we are
perfectly OK with those who want to sell locked modules -- bible.org
does it with NET, Lockman will do it soon with NASB, and a German
publisher does it with a Bible called "Hoffnung fuer alle - Die Bibel",
using encryption support.  Download the modules, buy the key from the
publisher off their website, and away you go.

We really do need to be able to come to agreements with publishers for
their works, and I frankly do not understand why we cannot gain any
better traction on this issue.

--karl