[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Core Duo MacBook

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Nov 2 14:31:01 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:

> This had been on my mind anyway, after a recent stay at a hotel. I
> had been contemplating whether it was wrong for me to support the
> hotel because of this exact issue, and since it fits in nicely with
> our discussion, I'll throw out these thoughts for what it is worth.

Continuing with my symbol, it remains a matter of conscience. Truth
builds its own path in the heart. The preacher can make his case for or
against said hotel stay, but it remains with each individual to decide
whether it applies to them.

I can't possibly pretend I'll delve into the motives of those who choose
to stay where PPV smut is offered. As you say, it's quite common. We
could even discuss whether the hotel management is responding to demand,
in bed with their cable provider for a share, or simply a nasty scumbag
trying to corrupt every heart. At some point, we notice it's really hard
to find one that doesn't provide it. For myself, even saying I can avoid
it for all the right reasons might sound like tooting my own horn.
Motives, motives, what are the real motives?

Even though I don't share the degree of Jason's revulsion with Apple, I
agree with it in principle. Right now I'm typing this on a Winbox. Much
as I hate Windows, there is a short term purpose for that decision --
what I really want won't work easily on this hardware just yet.
Meanwhile, I am reacquainting myself with what most of my computer
ministry clients are using. So I'll keep my Apple hardware, which runs
Linux, until I no longer have any use for it. Jason has to sleep in his
own bed, and I reject the notion holiness would be quite the same for
both of us in every detail.

That's because I'm quite comfortable with the notion God can require
different applications of holiness from different folks. It makes sense
to me in my drive for non-Western logic. My conscience isn't much
pricked about hotels and their little goodies, because I worry more
about just getting a room at all in my price range. Notorious places I
can discern pretty quickly, because I tend to look that up before I go
anywhere, and sometimes it's just too obvious when you get there. For
example, you probably should avoid the Habana Inn in OKC -- notorious
den of iniquity in these parts. You'll figure it out as soon as you step
inside the foyer.

Paul would have a hard time avoiding the Roman roads at times, and Jesus
didn't condemn using Roman coins outright. Rather, he condemned the
Pharisees for being hypocritical about it. If you accept a king's coins,
you accept his rule. He can take them back at his pleasure, so we should
prepare for the worst in some situations. Meanwhile, if God holds your
heart, I doubt He'll have trouble letting you know what He requires of you.

--
Ed Hurst