[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Core Duo MacBook

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 2 13:56:53 CST 2008

> For the record, we don't have any cable tv or satellite. But think of
> how the internet is the largest cess pool that has ever existed--and
> there are no real controls to keep it out entirely.... what to do?

	True. What I was thinking though is more to do with direct support. I
don't have any reason to suspect my ISP actively supports the stuff
out on the Internet. But, since they are the CableCo, they do actively
support what they deliver to my TV. And frankly, some of that stuff I
think is far more damaging to society, both Christian and non, than
what the proposition in California is fighting. Part of me thinks that
means I shouldn't subscribe, especially, when my cable company throws
in free HBO, etc. But, when that free HBO provides me with a chance to
see a good, wholesome movie that I can then weave into a sermon
illustration or use when talking with a non-believer... that reminds
me of Ed bringing up the Roman road network.

	Similarly, I wonder -- indeed, struggle -- with the idea of
supporting hotels that provide filth via PPV in room. It seems wrong
-- to me -- to support hotels that actually are all but attacking the
institution of marriage, knowing that many of the videos purchasers
are easily temptable guys away from their families. They aren't
targeting some other group that wouldn't be married anyway, they are
most likely hurting those that *are* married. At the same time,
virtually every hotel does it, especially if you move beyond the
cheapest, dirtiest hotels (ironically -- one form of dirt or another).

	Admittedly, when I see that, it makes me want to stay at a different
hotel, just to voice my displeasure. But, as offering PPV has become
easier, the amount of hotels that don't offer "adult" services is
shrinking at great rapidity.

	This had been on my mind anyway, after a recent stay at a hotel. I
had been contemplating whether it was wrong for me to support the
hotel because of this exact issue, and since it fits in nicely with
our discussion, I'll throw out these thoughts for what it is worth.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth