[CS-FSLUG] Mac to Linux: Bible Software

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 2 13:47:28 CST 2008

Hi guys,
	Especially since we have several people making the move to Linux from
Mac on here, I'm wondering what you guys are using for Bible software?
Thinking about Jason's transition, I was thinking about what I would
need to do if I wanted to switch back to Linux as well (I'm not
switching, in case you are wondering, but hypothetically).

	Basically there are two things that seem like big stumbling blocks
for myself, maybe three or four.[1] The biggest, perhaps, is
Photoshop. GIMP is nice, but Photoshop it ain't. But everyone knows
about the discussion on Photoshop. What about Bible software. One
thing I struggled with the whole time I was on Linux, and this was
before I became nearly as dependent on Bible software as I am now, is
that SWORD-based Bible software lacks a lot of key ingredients --
major modern translations (ESV, NIV, NRSV are the ones I depend on for
seminary work, NLT and TNIV sometimes for other stuff), scholarly
Greek manuscripts, or even unscholarly manuscripts with accents, lack
of quality scholarly lexicons, and the like. I know we have some
scholars on here, what do you use?

	I've fallen in love with Accordance over the last year, and bought a
lot of great modules for it. I similarly know a lot of Windows folks
who love Logos... (which is coming to the Mac, it'd be nice if they'd
support Linux too and create a true cross-platform offering.) SWORD is
nice, but I never found it all that much better for my own purposes
than using a site like Bible Gateway.

	Thoughts?

	-Tim
--
[1] The third item is iLife -- I use iMovie/iDVD/iPhoto pretty much.
Then there is Word:mac -- I use its lecture recording mode, which

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Not  every end  is the  goal.  The end  of a
Editor, OfB.biz   | melody is not its goal,  and yet if  a melody
tbutler at ofb.biz   | has not  reached its end , it has not reached
timothybutler.us  | its goal."
                                            -- Friedrich Nietzsche